There are a million workout plans out there. All of them can be intimidating to someone who isn’t familiar with exercise, fitness terminology, or just hasn’t spent a lot of time in a gym or fitness environment. Even if you used to workout years ago, there’s a natural apprehension to getting started doing physical exercise again.
We’ve all been there. Heck, I have to deal with the mental game even if I just take a week off. It’s normal.
Here’s the key to getting started, staying motivated, not getting hurt, and being successful in building a lifestyle of fitness.
TAKE YOUR TIME
That’s it. It’s really that simple.
Understand where you are and approach the activity appropriately.
- Focus on learning the exercises with little to no weight
- Spend more time in the warm-up and cool-down portion of the workouts
- Ask your coach or trainer for feedback.
- Be ok with stopping if you feel like it’s too much
- Focus less on speed or how much you finish
- Pay attention to how you feel after your workout
- Get as much sleep as possible
- Eat more protein
- Make sure you are getting a variety of activity
- Try and go heavy or fast before you’re ready
- Workout everyday
- Do the same thing all the time
- Think you’re doing something correctly without getting someone to evaluate you
- Rush through the warm-up or cool-down
A good workout program will have options for you to modify movements to fit your experience, equipment, or physical ability. A good program will also provide the opportunity to adjust how much of the workout you do on any given day. It’s very common for people to build up to doing the whole daily workout over time if the program supports that.
Bottom line…. The only person you have to prove anything to is yourself. No one else is putting any pressure on you. Don’t put too much on yourself. Take your time. Do what makes sense for where you are, until you can do more.
If you’re patient you’ll be doing stuff you never thought possible, you’ll do it safely, and faster than expected.
If you’re looking for a program that has coaching and supports your journey, check out THE APEX AT HOME PROGRAM. I’m all about helping you get better. Let’s get this thing started!!